At Shelby Presbyterian Church, we invite our adult members to participate in our church life in many ways and at many levels. We encourage our mature members to lead our younger members by taking part in a variety of opportunities for Christian growth and development. In addition to our two worship services every Sunday morning from early September to late May, there are seven different educational opportunities for adults on Sunday mornings from 10:00 to 10:45. Newcomers are invited to visit any and all classes before deciding on the format and topic that best suits their interests and needs.
- Covenant Class meets in the back parlor (hall behind kitchen.) This class is for men and women of any age. They use The Present Word, which consists of quarterly books that follow a theme that is relevant biblically and theologically to everyday life. These sessions are planned to refresh, strengthen, and deepen faith. Glenn Moore is the contact person for this class.
- Ladies’ Bible Class meets in the conference room (also in hall behind kitchen.) They also use The Present Word as the basis for study and discussion.
- Christian Issues Class meets in the narthex parlor with Ali Paksoy serving as the contact person. A discussion format is used based on a great variety of topics introduced by books and videos.
- Joy Makers meet in the Upper Room which overlooks Ellis Hall. They study books on spirituality. Contacts are Mary Connor and Doug Boyette. Open to all adults.
- Serendipity meets in room 205 upstairs. Ben Brooks is the facilitator. The class usually selects a book of the Bible to study in depth. This class is open to men and women of all ages.
- Women in Progress meet in the library beside the small chapel. The contact person is Susan Bell. They use a variety of biblical studies and books of interest. This class is for women of all ages.
- F3 Class meets on the stage end of Ellis Hall. The class members are single young adults as well as young couples, but all ages are welcome. Curriculum varies. This class does not meet in the summer.
- New and Prospective Members Class is taught by Pastor Luke Harkey in the pastor’s study during Sunday School time. This class does not meet in the summer.
Additional opportunities for Christian growth include:
- Tuesday Bible Study covers a great variety of books throughout the year and meets in the Ladies Parlor. Pastor Luke Harkey is the facilitator. In the summer, they meet once a month on the third Tuesday at 11:30. Times may vary to suit the needs of the participants so check with the church office if interested in attending.
- Advent and Lenten special studies are offered by the Spiritual Life Committee.
- The Sunday School Committee provides for all adults to meet together for special programs presented by visiting speakers, missionaries or visitors from our sister church.
- The Wednesday Night Supper Committee often plans a seasonal or relevant Bible Study program.
- Prayer Trios meet regularly and use devotional books chosen by the Spiritual Life Committee or decide on a format on their own.
- Octet Groups are comprised of members who are assigned to small groups that meet regularly for dinner at the homes of members. The primary goal of these groups is to provide opportunities for fellowship and growth within the church family structure. Individuals and couples may or may not choose to participate.